New York Firearms Forum banner

1-4X scope for my M1A?

Tags
14x m1a scope
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  geoff3 
#1 ·
I have an early 90s short barreled M1A, which they called the Bush model. I've mostly used it with iron sights and occasionally fiddled with a red dot. Recently, I plopped a long scope on it with a B Square mount but felt like this was completely redundant to my 700 VTR in .308. If I want to precision shoot at long distances, I would use that.

So I started reading and came upon this » Mueller Speed Shot 1-4×24 » Mueller Optics and other scopes like it. I guess the idea is to combine red dot speed with some magnification for better accuracy at longer distances. I like the idea but I don't know how it will pan out in reality. I'm not getting any younger and neither are my eyes, so a little mag is great.

Has anyone used one of these? If so, how did it work out? What brand did you have?

I have other Mueller scopes and I can't complain for the money, but in this case, $250 is a lot to spend on a maybe. I can get cheaper ones but then I run the risk of my experience being ruined by the quality of the scope instead of the design.

Any "in-sight" would be appreciated

G
#2 ·

I'm a certified "scope snob" and generally consider running a Leupold to be slumming. But I've got a Millet that I sometimes run on one of my M-14s and it works pretty darned well. The optics are not very pretty but for $200 I'm happy with the way it has performed.

Beware of B-Square mounts on M-14 pattern rifles...............

G
#5 ·
The short answer is: NO

The scope mount I use on my M14/M25 clone is a Smith Enterprise mount as pictured above. It has three points of contact. It's been carefully fitted, adjusted, torqued, lock-tited and prayed over. M14 mounts are problematic to say the least.

#6 ·
Yes, I've read about the mount issues. One of the things I like about the one you picture is the ridge at the bottom that drops right into the corresponding channel in the receiver. I plan on upgrading the mount as soon as I decide on the glass. For the red dot I have, the B Square does the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.