New York Firearms Forum banner

"lumens" number, what's a nice bright number?

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  SomeSoldier 
#1 ·
Hey doods, I'm a light nOOb. need some advice.

what's a good lumens brightness number? I have no clue. FWIW, this is a light for utility/tactical usage, not for attachment to any firearm. I like the stuff Elzetta has, but have no idea what's nice and bright.

I already have some nice mag-lights for less threatening/urgent situations.

thanks in advance!!!! :cool:

#2 ·
I have a 270 lumen that I carry every day that's pretty fahking bright, especially if your eyes are adjusted to the darkness already. The nice thing is it has a few different settings so you can bring that power all the way down to I believe 10 lumens, which is perfect for finding your way down the stairs with the lights off and such.

#5 ·
Gander had 3 different lights set up of various illumination you could try, I forgot what the were but I think the lowest was around 100 and the highest was around 200, in the store light, I really couldn't tell all that much difference, I'm sure at night it would be a lot more noticeable. FWIW they were all pretty bright.

#7 ·
I have a Fenix PD30 that I carry on my person all the time. It has intensity settings for 9, 70, 117, or 220 lumens. It is by far the most useful flashlight that I've ever owned. It's the second most used piece of EDC gear that I carry. The only item I use more is my pocketknife.

#8 · (Edited)
FWIW:
Cop car spotlight, around 800 lumens
Car headlight around 400 lumens on high beam
Surefire X300 weapon light, 110 lumens
Older models and some new ones, 60 lumens with optional replacement reflector & bulb to push up to 120 lumens
Maglite 3D cell handheld, 76 lumens
4D cell 122 lumens

Candlepower has some bearing on brightness too, but I dunno the maths to tie the two together.

Also note that having a focused beam as opposed to a radiant one can give a perception of brighter~ness when something is in the beam even if the focused light and radiant light are the same output.
EG: you can more or less look straight at a car with its highbeams on from 30' away. Do it with a good focal beam Surfire and you'll potentially burn your retinas out even though the flashlight has significantly lower output numbers.

#9 ·
FWIW:

Candlepower has some bearing on brightness too, but I dunno the maths to tie the two together.

Also note that having a focused beam as opposed to a radiant one can give a perception of brighter~ness when something is in the beam even if the focused light and radiant light are the same output.
Bingo. I have an 80 lumen light that I got for $11 on ebay that's my "around the house" light. Works great. I also have a 230 lumen light that at a distance doesn't really seem any brighter, but in close it lights up a much larger area.

#14 ·
Is that an older TLR~1?
Mine is current model less than 1 year old and is rated at 160 lumens.

It is the strobe version though which may have bearing.

Random side note:
Been thinking about painting the circut board (not the LED obviously) with a few layers of clear model paint to help ensure the wee little gizmos don't eventually crack loose from vibration.
Haven't done it yet though due to not being all that sure its a good idea.

#16 ·
Ah, yes, its the c4 that makes the difference not the strobe.

Kind of amusing actually. Point it at a light colored ceiling in a dark room and it lights up everything to a level you can read a book by.
Just don't look straight into it or with it reflecting back at you from a mirror.

#17 ·
One thing to keep in mind, more is not always better. Imagine you're in a dark room and you whip out your 3 Bazillion lumen handheld eyeball melter. And you light it up and blast the beam onto a light colored or reflective surface....guess what? You just blinded yourself!

All kidding aside, anything above 60 is fine for utility use or moving in a darkened room. I'll agree that I want a ton of light to be put to the bad guy's face if need be but too much can be bad. I've got lights that range from 40 to over 300 in Lumens. What do I carry, Either a Surefire LED (about 110-130 I think) or my Fenix PD30.

If you can find a Low Light course near you, attend and you should be able to learn what makes a good light or bad one and then be able to decide what level you'd like to run.

Good luck!

#20 ·
Supposedly 60 lumens is enough brightness to cause temporary blindness in someone whos eyes are adjusted to darkness. Personally I can tell you that 60 lumens is decent, and 120 or above can be too much in some situations. It all depends on what setting(s) you plan on using a flashlight for.

I can remember a cardiac arrest call when I was an emt, and the Paramedic was trying to place an line, but the bedroom was just dark enough (even though it was mid afternoon and the lights were on). He asked someone to provide some light, so I got out my 120 lumen Surefire, turned it on, and his first reaction was, "Oh my god." Again...this was the middle of the day with the lights on in the bedroom, and I placed the light above him, so it wouldn't get him in the eyes.

Another really big thing to keep in mind is light colored paint in your home. Light colored paint, and a high powered flashlight DO NOT MIX!

#23 ·
The advertised lumens in some lights are as reliable as the gender of a bangkok prostitute.
I have some that came advertised at 120 lumens that go further out than some advertised as 220 lumens.
How do I know? Because I have tested them one next to each other.

Better go with known models that people have used and tested at long distances if that is what
is needed. I have one that is not too large that can put a pretty nice spot on a target at 200 yards
while other more expensive ones do not get there.
The one someone mentioned form the home depot is a coast light (I think) that are a good value,
it has less capacity with AAA batteries but they do work fine.
I have several of those around the house and the car and puts a nice spot all the way to 100 yards.
I got two of the ones they had at a gander sale ( the only reason to really go there) and they are good
for the money. I took them hunting, dropped them in the water, mud and still work fine.
So that one might do it I don't know. you cannot have too many of them.
And stock up on lithium batteries. they do make a huge difference, specially for an emergency
situation.

#26 ·
Gave my wife 730 lumens light to carry with her when she was taking night classes. Bright enough to temp blind someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.