Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Prospero
  • 1 Post By Trekmtbr89
  • 3 Post By gaines2010

Thread: SSAR-15, NY Legal?

Private

Default SSAR-15, NY Legal?

These look fun, are they NY legal??? from what I can tell it's not a "collapsible" or "telescoping" stock.

‪Incredible Bump Fire! New ATF Approved stock for AR-15 Allows Easy and Safe Bump firing‬‏ - YouTube

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    Right wing gun nut

Major

it is perfectly legal in NY................

............until the BATF over rules their initial acceptance of them.

It's legal up until you put a telescoping stock and protruding pistol grip on a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine.

Major

this stock does not telescope - it is fixed. The entire pistol grip/stock moves seperate from the rifle. There are no springs or returns, it moves all based on how much you push the rifle away from the grip/stock

It looks like the stock is sliding on the buffer tube when it's in the "Slide fire" position, so I'd rather not have to try and call it a fixed stock in court, since even if it's attached to the pistol grip, there's not really a clear definition of what is and what isn't a telescoping stock.

You may be able to argue that the legislative intent of the ban was to apply to stocks that collapse for the purpose of shortening the overall length of the gun, of which this would not apply, but I imagine an overzealous DA could still make your life hell in the meantime. It's your call. I just would keep it on private propery and don't go showing it off at the range too much.

Oh, and don't commit and felonies with it.
    katoom23 and SteveNY like this.

Major

Everything is a crime when you commit a felony!

Did you know it's illegal to wear body armor while committing a felony? lol
    katoom23 likes this.

Private

Hello all. Regarding The SSAR-15, although I love it, I find it hard to declare as legal in the state of New York based on simple Penal Law. 1) No telescoping stock. Well the SSAR-15 ATTACHES TO YOUR AR15 it changes in size by about 1 1/2"'s something you will have to defend. and #2) It clearly states in 265.02 "Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree" of NYS Penal Law (which is a Class D felony) "Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell, firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm OR WEAPON SIMULATING A MACHINE-GUN AND WHICH IS ADAPTABLE FOR SUCH USE""""" Well the SSAR-15 ABSOLUTELY SIMULATES A MACHINE GUN. THE WORD "SIMULATE" IS SO LOOSE AND WILL BE APPLIED BY THE LAW HOW THEY WISH TO APPLY IT.

ALTHOUGH IT IS LEGAL TO THE ATF, ITS NEW YORK PENAL LAW THAT OVERRIDES. BE CAREFUL ALL. I SEE TWO ITEMS AS I STATED ABOVE THAT MAY BE HARD TO DEFEND.

YOUR RESPONSE IS VERY HELPFUL.

mikeCentola, Jeff and anthonyd like this.

Notwithstanding the other arguments I believe that the "telescoping" stock argument could be rebuked. The very nature of a telescoping stock allows the stock to be set and locked into positions of varying length. Although the SSAR stock can slide freely on a buffer tube it can not be locked in a shortened position. Furthermore, I believe that the overall size of the SSAR would defeat the intent of a true telescoping stock.
    Aside from that I believe that NYS will address this stock and ban it's use or possession once they get a little more popular and mainstream.
    No matter how you feel about the stock I believe that every 2A advocate in the state should let the lawmakers know that they are opposed to any form of restrictions on this or any other stock.
    Disabled American Veteran, I Bled for my Country...
    I'll bleed for my RIghts! FUAC!!

sum 1 sell me 1

yeah i know i dont wanna pay 350 though would love to try 1 out i bet after shootin the thing it would get easier to cough up that kinda dough

Therer are several gun shops in the area here that are stocking the SSAR now. Both with and without the buffer tube.

which shops do u speak of?
    you can ignore reality . but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

sum feedback from b/s/t section on other boards

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com...howtopic=56757

Shops here in Orange County. I was in a shop last week and he had 12 of them on the shelf. His second stock of them. Said his first 12 sold in about a week and they are getting more popular now that folks are seeing them in use.
    The more popular they get the quicker NYS will jump on them....

Captain

I have used one before and they work as advertised. The guy I used it with was banned from his local club for it

Quote Originally Posted by Bllade View Post
    Notwithstanding the other arguments I believe that the "telescoping" stock argument could be rebuked. The very nature of a telescoping stock allows the stock to be set and locked into positions of varying length. Although the SSAR stock can slide freely on a buffer tube it can not be locked in a shortened position. Furthermore, I believe that the overall size of the SSAR would defeat the intent of a true telescoping stock.
    Aside from that I believe that NYS will address this stock and ban it's use or possession once they get a little more popular and mainstream.
    No matter how you feel about the stock I believe that every 2A advocate in the state should let the lawmakers know that they are opposed to any form of restrictions on this or any other stock
    I would say if any of you really like this thing, I would buy one now, because I also think it's just a matter of time before the powers that be catch onto this thing. I might get one and I don't even know if I would use it!

Sergeant

They are FUN. I will have one on all of my ar's

Sergeant

Guys......
    I don't want to be the guy to deliver this news but the ssar-15 model I have slides and locks into the last three positions of an adjustable buffer tube. Trust me its sitting in my lap. I quadruple checked. So, permanently find a way to get that selector lever stay in slide mode and we have a winner. Buy yours YESTERDAY if u catch my drift

Notwithstanding the other arguments I believe that the "telescoping" stock argument could be rebuked. The very nature of a telescoping stock allows the stock to be set and locked into positions of varying length. Although the SSAR stock can slide freely on a buffer tube it can not be locked in a shortened position. Furthermore, I belieeve that the overall size of the SSAR would defeat the intent of a true telescoping stock.
    No matter how you feel about the stock I believe that every 2A advocate in the state should let the lawmakers know that they are opposed to any form of restrictions on this or any other stock.

Sergeant

Guys......
    I don't want to be the guy to deliver this news but the ssar-15 model I have slides and locks into the last three positions of an adjustable buffer tube. Trust me its sitting in my lap. I quadruple checked. So, permanently find a way to get that selector lever stay in slide mode and we have a winner. Buy yours YESTERDAY if u catch my drift

Notwithstanding the other arguments I believe that the "telescoping" stock argument could be rebuked. The very nature of a telescoping stock allows the stock to be set and locked into positions of varying length. Although the SSAR stock can slide freely on a buffer tube it can not be locked in a shortened position. Furthermore, I belieeve that the overall size of the SSAR would defeat the intent of a true telescoping stock.

Quote Originally Posted by gaines2010 View Post
    Hello all. Regarding The SSAR-15, although I love it, I find it hard to declare as legal in the state of New York based on simple Penal Law. 1) No telescoping stock. Well the SSAR-15 ATTACHES TO YOUR AR15 it changes in size by about 1 1/2"'s something you will have to defend. and #2) It clearly states in 265.02 "Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree" of NYS Penal Law (which is a Class D felony) "Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell, firearm silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm OR WEAPON SIMULATING A MACHINE-GUN AND WHICH IS ADAPTABLE FOR SUCH USE""""" Well the SSAR-15 ABSOLUTELY SIMULATES A MACHINE GUN. THE WORD "SIMULATE" IS SO LOOSE AND WILL BE APPLIED BY THE LAW HOW THEY WISH TO APPLY IT.

ALTHOUGH IT IS LEGAL TO THE ATF, ITS NEW YORK PENAL LAW THAT OVERRIDES. BE CAREFUL ALL. I SEE TWO ITEMS AS I STATED ABOVE THAT MAY BE HARD TO DEFEND.

YOUR RESPONSE IS VERY HELPFUL.

So if I bumpfire with my body and change nothing to a NY compliant AR15, is my AR15 considered to be simulating a machine gun? I can bumpfire with a rubber band. If they ban this, which they will, someone will come out with a modified trigger guard to allow you to bumpfire. Here is a good question. If I were to take the pin out of my stock and put a spring in the stock, would this make it a bumpfire stock? The stock cannot lock in a certain position so would it still be considered a telescoping stock?

James

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    So if I bumpfire with my body and change nothing to a NY compliant AR15, is my AR15 considered to be simulating a machine gun? I can bumpfire with a rubber band. If they ban this, which they will, someone will come out with a modified trigger guard to allow you to bumpfire. Here is a good question. If I were to take the pin out of my stock and put a spring in the stock, would this make it a bumpfire stock? The stock cannot lock in a certain position so would it still be considered a telescoping stock?

James
    The Akins Accelerator used a similar principle, the action of a 10/22 was mounted on a spring-loaded block and allowed to reciprocate inside the stock, and the trigger guard had a similar block on one side to lift your finger off far enough to cause it to reset. The ATF initially approved it as not being a machine gun, but then went ahead and changed their minds on that. As far as I can tell, the SSAR is legal only because it's not spring loaded.

As for the NYS AWB, it only says "(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK", nothing about adjustability, so I'd rather not take my chances with a telescoping stock even if it's not adjustable at all. Or at least as long as it has another feature, I wouldn't.

Sergeant

Let the people of NYS keep voting & electing Democrats into office, And Sen. Like C. Shummer & C Gilbrand & Gov. Andrew Como.? And we can never own any of these or any other types of firearms. EVER